Sunday, March 21, 2010

While Sampling at Sephora



Don't you just love when you have a day where if you spend two or three hours just playing around in Sephora you don't have to feel guilty about the indulgence?  Such was a day for me yesterday and I enjoyed it to the hilt.

Here, some ramblings about my thoughts and experiences sampling these well known brands and products:

KATE SOMERVILLE EXFOLIKATE
First, Kate Somerville ExfoliKate (2 oz - $85).  Oh my goodness ... I have to say I'm quite surprised by my reaction to this one. I expected to love it with all the hype and rave reviews.  I can't stand it!  Well, that may be a bit strong, but seriously, ladies, the smell of this product left me so turned off I can't imagine applying it to my face. Yes, I know it's enzymatic and that perhaps lends to the smell of this exfoliator, but please!  Now the physical element of its exfoliation is gentle and I'm sure probably effective (as may be the product as a whole), but even after wiping the product from the top of my hand (which is where I sampled all the products I'm writing about) with water and a cotton pad, I could still smell the thing lingering in the air. Bleck!  I couldn't get used to this if you paid me.  I'm sticking by my REN Skincare F10 Enzymatic Smooth Radiance for gentle enzymatic exfoliation and REN's Glycolic Skin Renewal Peel for when I want a more potent treatment. For physical exfoliation, I'm still in love with my Rodan + Fields Microdermabrasion Paste, which I've literally used for years and haven't found anything I like as much.

KATE SOMERVILLE DEEP TISSUE REPAIR
So as I was already at the Kate Somerville shelves, I tried her famous Deep Tissue Repair Cream (1 oz - $150) next. Ok, so it's a nice thick cream in texture, but when I read the ingredients, I see there are lots of different alcohols (which concerns me, as will it be drying on facial skin?), some silicones, but also some rather nice anti-aging ingredients and cannabis seed oil, squalane, jojoba, copper ... by the way the cream boasts a high conentration of  "Peptide K8" ... Kate's clever utilization of her name (again) in her products. Anyway, I'm not blown away by this one, though I've hardly given it a fair shake as longer term use may have left me pleased with results; the skin does become firmer upon absorption of the cream.  I have to say, I'm so disappointed as I was sooooo ready to love this brand!  I can't imagine paying the price for the line, it left me that under-whelmed.

PHILOSOPHY MIRACLE WORKER
An anti-aging cream I AM loving is Philosophy's new Miracle Worker (2 oz - $55).  This product is the bomb, ladies!  Let me first admit that I've never been a fan of Philosophy's cult favorite Hope in a Jar (even though the divine Ms. O raves about it on her favorite things list as do others).  Again, it's a smell thing for me; I could never get used to the smell of Hope in a Jar, and for that reason alone I just never "acquired the taste" for it. I am a Philosophy Girl, though, don't get me wrong, loving lots and lots of their other skincare, fragrances, 3-in-1's and more. And I've found a new favorite anti-aging cream in their Miracle Worker.  This is a satiny almost gel-cream in texture product, much lighter than some of their other creams.  It glides onto skin, and with such potency that a little goes a long way.  It feels delightful on skin, and it's loaded with vitamin C, resveratrol, and antioxidants.  I loved the way this made my skin feel, very smooth. This one I bought!

BLISS TRIPLE OXYGEN +C ENERGIZING CREAM
Onto Bliss Spa's section to try their new Triple Oxygen +C Energizing Cream (1.7 oz - $54). This is a cream with a light weight kind of custard-y gel-cream texture and the satisfying shade of light orange (though don't look for it to smell subtly of sweet oranges or even vanilla-orange, a facet I wish they'd have provided; it doesn't have much of a scent at all).  The cream feels lovely on skin and is quickly absorbed.  The idea behind this product is the brightening and renewing effects of both oxygen and vitamin C.  I think I could easily love this, just wish it had the extra sensory pleasure of a sweet subtle apricot, citrus, peach, melon any of those scents to pair with the color.



TARINA TARANTINO PEARL GLOW PRIMER
Here's one more that needs mentioning.  Playing around with the Tarina Taratino collection and loving the Pearl Glow Primer (1 oz - $32).  This is an opalescent pinky-pearl primer that applies easily and yields a fresh glow to the face.  it's not too shiny, too highlight-y, just enough that even a 40-something year old can get away with wearing it without it looking too made-up.  I'm liking this.  It's a true surprise for the trip, as didn't expect to take to much from the collection geared mostly to younger beauty addicts.  It's a definite must-see on your next trip to Sephora.

Disclaimer: All products mentioned above were sampled while browsing at Sephora.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Rodan + Fields Microdermabrasion Paste. You should try the other products available. I will be glad to help. Contact me at kimisbell.myrandf.biz

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know your thoughts. xo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin