Thursday, July 29, 2010

Are Printed Magazines Obsolete?



In one word - HELL NO!

Forgive the swearing and sarcasm, but I want my voice to be heard loudly and clearly on this subject.  Printed magazines are not obsolete.  They are still very much appreciated, loved and wanted.  There is absolutely nothing that gives us the same experience as thumbing through the glossy pages of a magazine - no matter what the genre of that magazine might be.  Sports, home, cooking, fitness, art, my favorites - beauty and fashion - or other, all have their traditional place in the hearts and homes (and yes, even bathroom floor baskets and tables) of most American folk.  And we want them! We don't want them to go away.

taken from inside VIV magazine Jul/Aug

I've read way too many posts, articles, blog opinion etc. praising the virtues of electronic media over printed, and they do have their place.  It would be quite hypocritical (and ridiculous) of me to feign otherwise as here I am speaking out about printed media via my electronic medium blog.  However, comparing printed media to electronic is like comparing apples to oranges. 

taken from inside VIV magazine Jul/Aug 2010 edition - Click to enlarge images

Reading through the pages of my Allure magazine while relaxing on a white sandy beach during a long weekend's vacation gives me an altogether different experience than if I were to substitute that magazine for my mobile phone, an iPad, or my laptop/netbook computer.  One difference, at the very least, is the feeling it gives me.  And the quality of that experience. The variety of information, editorials, images, columns, and more on paper in that one book is all very different than clicking through numerous screens on a digital screen.

For me, magazines are therapeutic! They relax me. When I'm reading through a magazine, I'm very aware that I'm giving back to myself - it's "me time".  Magazine reading is even more than therapeutic for me, it's inspirational.  Now, some may argue, well it's meant to "inspire" you, especially where your wallet is concerned.  And while I'm certainly no idiot to the fact that a good bit of magazine content is dedicated to enticing me to buy, I also appreciate the creative ideas that go along with that piece, whether in a photograph of a well designed bedroom, a how-to article on makeup application for a flawless complexion, or a strategically illustrated image of a cocktail with naked bodies digitally added in the ice cubes to enhance the allure of the drink. I enjoy it. I don't want to see print magazines go away.

So support your favorite magazine's publishers.  Let them know you still want printed magazines.  Be willing to buy them on the newstand or subscribe to have them delivered to your front door.  They're worth it!  The quality of experience received only through this form of media is well worth the pricetag of a few dollars. 

Interested in subscribing to a magazine or two you like or want to renew, some sites offer highly discounted magazine subscriptions.  One such site is Magazines.com (get $5 off here) and there are many others as well as visitng the publishers' websites directly.  May you reap much enjoyment from your favorite mag! xo

images/photos: VIV Magazine (July/August 2010)

2 comments:

  1. I think you are so absolutely right. And I couldn't appreciate this post more.

    In ten years I see myself working as an editor of a magazine. Multiple people hear that and have told me that "the printed magazine is on its way OUT." And I argue that that is simply not true. There are more magazines subscriptions than ever now.

    Thanks again.

    Follow us at http://stylishlygifted.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chezelle and Spectra,

    Thanks for commenting, and I appreciate your viewpoint tremendously. It just drives me nuts when I hear peeps say magazines are obsolete as I wonder if these same folk would realize how much they'd miss mags if they went away. And for goodness' sake magazines are so, so affordable, and what a lift-me-up they are.

    Sure, we enjoy our digital reads, our blogs, our beauty, fashion, news, etc. sites on the net, but nothing gives the same enjoyment, the quality of that experience like a REAL printed magazine. I don't want them to ever go away!!!!

    {Hope you hear that, Conde nast, Hearst and others ... PLEASE keep printing!}

    AND ... best of luck, much success, and all good things to you, Chezelle (or is it Spectra - x), in your pursuits as a magazine editor, be it 10, 7, 3 or even 30 years from now!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know your thoughts. xo

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin